Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Not a Natural Runner

So, my older brother Russ was a runner in high-school.  He is 4 years ahead of me in school, so we weren't in high-school together, but nonetheless and I ADORED and looked up to him. He ran Cross Country, therefore, when I got to high-school I ran Cross Country.  Honestly, I didn't particularly like running, but if Russ did it then it must be cool.    My running career lasted one season, cut short by shin splints.  In summary: I sucked at it.  Plus, I lacked the discipline and motivation (and shins) to keep at it.  My dad used to say "You're not really a natural runner, honey."  He didn't mean it in a derogatory way, just that my gate and stride were not naturally built for running.  I was ok with it, and went on my merry, cheerleading way.   

I've run on and off since then to keep in shape and because I don't really mind it as a quick way to get some cardio in.  A few months ago I signed Mike and I up for a half marathon at the end of October.  We are both out of shape and in need of a goal with an end date.  We ran a 5K as part of our training on the 6th of August and I got exactly one picture:

See the yellow tag on my shoe?  It's my timer from the race.  I know, the pic sucks.  I don't know what I was thinking not bringing my camera.
I finished with a time of 33:34, which was better than I expected.  My goal was under 35 minutes, so I felt I did well. 

August since then has been........(how shall I put this)...... stressful. 

I haven't been keeping up with my running like I should, and I've been allowing my body to get chubby and out of shape again. 

So, for any of you that are runners... Can you help me?
I have 7 weeks to whip my buns back in to shape and I'm wondering if you think I'll die? Maybe?
I don't feel like it's enough time. 
The longest I've run yet (this go-around) is 4 miles. 
I know, it's not exactly 13.1
I'm not giving up, but I wondered if anybody has any speedy training tips for me.
Also, the last few times I've run I seem to get a pain under my ribs that feels like muscle is pulling away from bone.  It's different than just "side aches."  I've WebMD'd it and came up with nothin'.
Am I dying?
Kidding.  I won't die. 
But if any of you know what it is, let me know.

If not, sorry I made you read this long, uninteresting post :) 
Hugs!


2 comments:

Jacqlyn Dion Jackson said...

Read the book, "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A fantastic story about a man and his quest to understand running and the Tarahumara Indians (the people who run hundreds of miles for days at a a time). It inspired me to start running again and has all these little tricks of the trade for running.

Montana Wilkins said...

I'm loving the above suggestion. Nothing a good book can't help with.
I like your picture. It's cute and interesting.
I also love you going on your merry cheerleading way. You're funny. And we're all called to different things, right?

Word verification: tatelast
Poor Tate.