What the old lady???? How the crap did I end up 30 years old?
Oh, right.... 30 birthdays = 30 years old.
Huh.
Mike and I celebrated last weekend when we went to visit Helena. Free babysitting and all. It was epic. Ok, just kidding. But it was fun. We went to the Mediterranean Grill, which, by the way, was delish. We tried an appetizer , I got some sort of chicken kabob thing, and we even ordered creme brulee' cheesecake and ate it ALL. HOLY deliciousness Batman. Mike got me roses and told me how amazing I was all evening long (that is a MUST on birthdays, isn't it?). We also went to Target and Ross without the kids. That right there is a goooooood night, my friends.
On my actual birthday yesterday, I sat in a green trailer at the mine as a security guard. I had the option to either work on my birthday or Cecily's (tomorrow), and babies only turn 5 once, so I figured I could sacrifice my day for hers.
Every year since starting this lil blog, I've come up with lists for my birthday. 27 things I've done, 28 things I want to do in the future, 28 blessings, and this year, here is my list of
30 of the most significant events in my lifetime
Aaaand- the dates could be off..... Janet's the one who's good with dates, ask her.
1. October 1982, Chapter 1: I am born. (bahahahahhahaha- I may not be David Copperfield, but I am funny pants)
2. Some time in 1990? I play the good witch of the north in my 2nd grade rendition of "The Wizard of Oz." I sing exactly one line. My mom and dad RAVE about it (as is their duty) and my love for singing was born. Suddenly I felt like I was good at something.
3. November 1991, I have the birthmark on the right side of my face removed, and I'm left with a scar. At the time I cried and was sad because my birthmark was unique, but I realized later that the scar made me unique too, and that I could make up lots of fun stories about where I got it.
4. January 1992, I start attending Grandstreet Theatre School, a local community theater. The reason this is significant is because while attending, I learned to step out of myself, put myself out there, and become less shy. I am different than I would have been had I not been signed up.
5. November 1994, I go with my parents to the Bountiful LDS temple open house. I realize that I want to go to the temple someday, and that it's important to me.
6. June 1995, My first year at Girls Camp- I recognize that I feel the Spirit for the first time. I knew without a doubt that God loved me and knew who I was. I felt it. It was real.
7. June 1998, I go running with the high school cross country team during summer practices and meet 2 girls from Montana City, who I would eventually be great friends with, who would introduce me to a few other great girls who I would spend the bulk of my high school years with, all of whom I'm still friends with today.
8. April(ish) 1999, my choir sings most of the movements from Carmina Burana. I've honestly never felt my soul stirred as much as it was while holding the last note of "O Fortuna!". I could hardly breathe the minute the note ended because I felt like the music was bouncing around inside my chest. Seriously, just thinking about it right now gives me chills.
9. Some time in 1999, My parents bought me my guitar. There is nothing more stress relieving for me that playing my guitar and singing to myself.
10. June 2001, I move to Provo, Utah and out of my parent's house for the first time.
11. December 2001, My niece Esther is born. I had held babies before her, but when I looked down and saw her perfect, beautiful little face I suddenly felt like I actually wanted kids in the future. I was only 19, but up until then I had seriously thought I wasn't ever going to want to be a mom. She changed that for some reason. I just held her and couldn't deny that later on in life I wanted kids.
12. July 2002, I attend Mormon/American travel studies through BYUI. I spent nearly 6 weeks traveling the US studying Mormon history and American history. I cried at the Sacred Grove. I cried at the Lincoln Memorial.
13. May 2003, I attend a study abroad to Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. This particular event was significant for 2 reasons, first because I met some of my very best friends ever on that trip, and second because I was lucky enough to get to see and experience life beyond the US. We were tourists in some ways, but we also got to explore and see things off the beaten path. I met rebel Zapatista leaders (albeit accidentally), I climbed a volcano, I saw incredible poverty and incredible wealth, and I fell in LOVE with the color and vibrancy of the Latin culture.
14. August 2004 (and Summer 2005), I worked as an EFY counselor & BC in 2005. I call this my mini mission. I seriously love love love working with teenagers, helping them gain and develop their testimony, and helping them feel God's love. Doing EFY helped me pinpoint exactly the career that I wanted and why. I am passionate about working with high school kids. Weird, I know! I just think that time in a persons life is SO amazing and critical.
15. December 2005, I am married to Michael. Probably the most life changing event thus far :) 16. July 2006, Mike and I buy our first car together that neither of our parents helped pay for. We were practically adults :)
17. November 2006, We find out we're moving to Las Vegas because Mike has gotten his first real, professional job. Woo Hoo!
18. December 2006, Mike and I are sealed. Good day.
19. January 2007, I take a pregnancy test while Mike is on a business trip and suddenly I'm eating for two, thinking about names, and counting life in weeks.
20. April 2007, I get my BA in Secondary Education. Thus far, the only educational accomplishment to my name.
21. October 2007, Cecily is born. My first thoughts after giving birth? "I'MAMOMWHATTHEHECK?"
22. July 2008, Cecily takes her first steps in Aunt Rachel's apartment. I think she was so excited that her new little cousin had just been born that she couldn't contain herself. For realz.
23. May 2009, I take a pregnancy test at my sister in law's house (she even gave me the test!) and I end up telling her I'm pregnant even before my husband knows.
24 February 2010, Nolan is born. My first thought after giving birth? "THATWASAWESOME!"
25. March 2010, Nolan laughs at me for the first time. His laugh still melts my heart like nothing else in the entire live long gigantic fantastic crazy world.
26. February 2011, Mike and I purchase our first home, which we would actually only live in for 7 months. Life changes SO quickly, but this was a big step for us.
2. Some time in 1990? I play the good witch of the north in my 2nd grade rendition of "The Wizard of Oz." I sing exactly one line. My mom and dad RAVE about it (as is their duty) and my love for singing was born. Suddenly I felt like I was good at something.
3. November 1991, I have the birthmark on the right side of my face removed, and I'm left with a scar. At the time I cried and was sad because my birthmark was unique, but I realized later that the scar made me unique too, and that I could make up lots of fun stories about where I got it.
4. January 1992, I start attending Grandstreet Theatre School, a local community theater. The reason this is significant is because while attending, I learned to step out of myself, put myself out there, and become less shy. I am different than I would have been had I not been signed up.
5. November 1994, I go with my parents to the Bountiful LDS temple open house. I realize that I want to go to the temple someday, and that it's important to me.
6. June 1995, My first year at Girls Camp- I recognize that I feel the Spirit for the first time. I knew without a doubt that God loved me and knew who I was. I felt it. It was real.
7. June 1998, I go running with the high school cross country team during summer practices and meet 2 girls from Montana City, who I would eventually be great friends with, who would introduce me to a few other great girls who I would spend the bulk of my high school years with, all of whom I'm still friends with today.
8. April(ish) 1999, my choir sings most of the movements from Carmina Burana. I've honestly never felt my soul stirred as much as it was while holding the last note of "O Fortuna!". I could hardly breathe the minute the note ended because I felt like the music was bouncing around inside my chest. Seriously, just thinking about it right now gives me chills.
9. Some time in 1999, My parents bought me my guitar. There is nothing more stress relieving for me that playing my guitar and singing to myself.
10. June 2001, I move to Provo, Utah and out of my parent's house for the first time.
11. December 2001, My niece Esther is born. I had held babies before her, but when I looked down and saw her perfect, beautiful little face I suddenly felt like I actually wanted kids in the future. I was only 19, but up until then I had seriously thought I wasn't ever going to want to be a mom. She changed that for some reason. I just held her and couldn't deny that later on in life I wanted kids.
12. July 2002, I attend Mormon/American travel studies through BYUI. I spent nearly 6 weeks traveling the US studying Mormon history and American history. I cried at the Sacred Grove. I cried at the Lincoln Memorial.
13. May 2003, I attend a study abroad to Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. This particular event was significant for 2 reasons, first because I met some of my very best friends ever on that trip, and second because I was lucky enough to get to see and experience life beyond the US. We were tourists in some ways, but we also got to explore and see things off the beaten path. I met rebel Zapatista leaders (albeit accidentally), I climbed a volcano, I saw incredible poverty and incredible wealth, and I fell in LOVE with the color and vibrancy of the Latin culture.
14. August 2004 (and Summer 2005), I worked as an EFY counselor & BC in 2005. I call this my mini mission. I seriously love love love working with teenagers, helping them gain and develop their testimony, and helping them feel God's love. Doing EFY helped me pinpoint exactly the career that I wanted and why. I am passionate about working with high school kids. Weird, I know! I just think that time in a persons life is SO amazing and critical.
15. December 2005, I am married to Michael. Probably the most life changing event thus far :) 16. July 2006, Mike and I buy our first car together that neither of our parents helped pay for. We were practically adults :)
17. November 2006, We find out we're moving to Las Vegas because Mike has gotten his first real, professional job. Woo Hoo!
18. December 2006, Mike and I are sealed. Good day.
19. January 2007, I take a pregnancy test while Mike is on a business trip and suddenly I'm eating for two, thinking about names, and counting life in weeks.
20. April 2007, I get my BA in Secondary Education. Thus far, the only educational accomplishment to my name.
21. October 2007, Cecily is born. My first thoughts after giving birth? "I'MAMOMWHATTHEHECK?"
22. July 2008, Cecily takes her first steps in Aunt Rachel's apartment. I think she was so excited that her new little cousin had just been born that she couldn't contain herself. For realz.
23. May 2009, I take a pregnancy test at my sister in law's house (she even gave me the test!) and I end up telling her I'm pregnant even before my husband knows.
24 February 2010, Nolan is born. My first thought after giving birth? "THATWASAWESOME!"
25. March 2010, Nolan laughs at me for the first time. His laugh still melts my heart like nothing else in the entire live long gigantic fantastic crazy world.
26. February 2011, Mike and I purchase our first home, which we would actually only live in for 7 months. Life changes SO quickly, but this was a big step for us.
27. September 2011, We move our little family to Colstrip, MT. This move (more than all our other moves) stands out in my mind as the worst and most wonderful wrapped up in one. We had witnessed miracles in our life, and couldn't deny that we were TRULY supposed to move here, but it was also sad to leave our home and the life we had dreamed about in our house. ps- renting still sucks :)
28. January 2012, I get my Educator License from the state of Montana. Still haven't used it. Still glad I got it.
29. April 2012, I read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. While I've heard the concept of "you can choose to be happy" before, it never sunk in before I read this book. I always thought "Yeah- if you want to mask your feelings and pretend." But this book delves in to what it actually takes to choose freedom of mind and happiness over becoming a victim of circumstance. It is honestly a wonderful and life changing book.
30. October 2012, I turn 30. I'm excited for the next 30 years of adventure.
28. January 2012, I get my Educator License from the state of Montana. Still haven't used it. Still glad I got it.
29. April 2012, I read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. While I've heard the concept of "you can choose to be happy" before, it never sunk in before I read this book. I always thought "Yeah- if you want to mask your feelings and pretend." But this book delves in to what it actually takes to choose freedom of mind and happiness over becoming a victim of circumstance. It is honestly a wonderful and life changing book.
30. October 2012, I turn 30. I'm excited for the next 30 years of adventure.

No comments:
Post a Comment