
So, it was stake conference today........ I knew I should go, and I knew I should try to get some good uplifting feelings from it, but OH MY GOSH, has anyone ever taken a 1 year old to stake conference? 2 hours? It is nigh unto impossible to wrangle a small child for that long without sedation (for you or the child, or both). Mike and I were in the back of the gym for about 10 minutes today until Cecily started screaming. We've been trying not to take her out of the chapel because we don't want her to get the idea that she can scream and get taken out to play all the time. But this morning the people behind us started huffing and puffing and looking at us like "if you don't take that kid out of here we're gonna reach over and smack you". I was embarrased and so we took her out and sat in the foyer with her. 2 hours is too long. I felt so bad after an hour of trying to keep her sitting with me that we just let her go and didn't care. How do you mothers with 4 or 5 kids do it???? I'm pretty much in awe of you. I think if I ever have toddlers at stake conference again I'll bring more food. Food is a good distraction. Any other ideas for next time? I got nothin'.
5 comments:
I'm not sure about the Stake Conference thing. My mom never took us...in fact, I don't know that she even goes now...ok...not a good example. :) I know it's hard when you feel like you are disrupting people, but when you have 5 or 6 kids, they usually help entertain each other and they usually only have a few very young ones...generally speaking. Anyway. I'm just trying to say good job for trying, it will get easier, and stake conference isn't every Sunday. :) You're awesome girl.
I dread trying to keep Caysja occupied during stk. conf. and ours is coming up in 2 weeks--aaagh! I don't have any good advice for you except that food IS a good idea--and lots of it! We also bring crayons,coloring books/books, magnets that stick on the chairs in front of us, and finger puppets (the ones from IKEA). We try not to take Caysja out too so good for you!
I like the magnets on the chair idea!! I woke up sick Sunday morning and there was NO WAY I was going to battle my boys in conference!! Way to go! Conference is a long time for a toddler to sit in one spot and not fuss! I have no idea how my mom did it with 8 kids... we never paid any attention, but at least we were obedient! You are smart not to take her out anytime she cries. She will catch on if you take her out, so just stick to it! Everyone in the back of the church understands that it is the crying baby section, so don't feel bad! Your doing good!
We had Stake Conference this week, too. I didn't realize how lucky I had it with Alexis - sure, I had to feed her and stand up with her if she got a little fussy, but she was pretty content for most of it. (I actually welcomed the opportunity to stand up and get out of those uncomfortable metal chairs that get set up in the gym--is that bad?)
Move to Idaho Falls in that brick house by us and I'll play with her at stake conference. -Calvin
Post a Comment