Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Political Issues

I don't usually get involved in politics, but this struck a cord with me. I'm exercising my right to free speech. Today I read an article about President Obama's education speech. I agree with some of what he has to say (i.e.- we need an overhaul of the education system and something needs to be done to improve it), but I was deeply saddened that he embraces teacher merit pay, and I don't agree with it at all. I didn't agree with it during the Bush administration, and I was sad that Obama is headed down that road.
Here's me on my soapbox- are you ready?
99 % of the time, teacher's don't do it for the pay. The pay sucks. They don't do it for the glory (cause it is LESS than glorious, let me tell you). And they don't do it because it's easy. It is hard. For heaven's sake, I only did it for 3 months and it wore me out. Dealing with crabby, mouthy, hormonal teenagers (as well as the AMAZING ones) is not easy. To base the salary of a teacher on the test scores of their students is SO blatantly wrong and INEFFECTIVE that I cannot imagine that it will do anything except make the teachers who are willing to teach in low income areas NOT want to teach. In college I read an article called "No Dentist Left Behind" about the ridiculousness of rating teachers and merit pay. I just re-read it, and it pretty much describes my emotions.

Now, since I plan on going back to teaching one day and don't want to be just a complainer without offering some kind of solution to the problem, here's (part of) what I think Obama needs to do. He was elected partially because he is very charismatic and popular with people. He needs to use that popularity to speak to parents and INSPIRE them to jump in! Teachers cannot do this alone! Not even with all the money in the world. If we want education to improve we need to stop asking the government and teachers to educate our children, and we need to take a more active role! Get involved with your own kids! If you don't have kids, get involved in helping those children who are without parent's and guardians. Obama has been called "inspirational" and "transformational." Well, maybe it won't help, but I think he should stop talking to politicians and businessmen and start talking to parents.

Thanks for reading. Sorry about the tyraid. ......I think I'll write my congressman now....

5 comments:

Montana Wilkins said...

Hooray for you! That soap box speech was great. I'm not sure that any teacher currently teaching or retired would do anything but agree wholeheartedly with you. Don't just write to the congressmen. Write to the president too!

Ann said...

Wend!
Yeah, let's do lunch. I work the rest of the week, but maybe Monday or Tuesday next week.! I'll call ya!

The Hawks said...

this is why i love you! and way cute background by the way.
p.s. i'm real jealous of you and ann. i want to live by you guys!

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

I have never been been one for politics, but I find myself more and more drawn in, especially on issues that are more important to me now that I have kids. People think I'm crazy when I tell them I want to home school, but that's a road Danny and I are leaning towards. I totally agree that parents need to be more involved whether it be homeschooling or helping out more with school programs and projects and things like that. I'm not very articulate, so I like to read what others have to say and how they put things because it helps me clarify my thoughts. Thanks for the post. :)

Criscell said...

AMEN to this post!!!