Tonight I'm feeling reflective and thoughtful. Today was a happy day. A joyful day. A day that was nearly perfect. Nothing spectacular happened, but today was filled with small mundane ordinary joys that fill up your heart and leave you better than you were before. Yesterday I did not feel the same way................ Yesterday was filled with frustration, guilt, anger, and sadness. Not to mention 2 snot filled phone calls crying to my sister in Montana. Thanks, Jan. Nothing particularly awful happened, but suffice it to say that I felt like a failure as a mother. A complete and total failure with a cherry on top. I know that everybody has those days............ and luckily there are days like today that make up for it.
Today I woke up to a smiling little girl. A little girl full of energy who occasionally lets me feed off her insatiable hunger for movement and mayhem. We sat around in our PJ's for a bit, and ate cheerios with blueberries and whole milk. We watched Word World and Cecily sang about "get well soon soup" and "twinkle little star."
We went to lunch with daddy, and he always seems to make our days better. Cecily is more content, and so am I after we get our hour of Michael Scott (no, not that Michael Scott- mine is MUCH cooler).
Cecily took a 2 hour nap. She learned yesterday how to climb like a little ninja monkey out of her crib ( part of yesterdays lamentations and crying up to heaven "why? oh, why?") and decided to skip the nap, but today she slept like a champ.
Mike got home early. Love it when that happens.
We found the warranty to our broken TV. We bought it in January of 2006. We joyously read the part on the receipt where it says we purchased the extended 4 year warranty, which means we don't have to shell out moolah for a new one, and we get the crappy little thing fixed for free.
All 3 1/2 of us packed up and went to the community party in the park, complete with live music from old guys dressed in Hawiian shirts, cotton candy, those crazy air filled jumping cages for the kids, and a pot luck which included lime jello with carrot slivers.
The best part of my day came after we put Cecily back to bed for the 17th time. I decided to go into her bedroom and just sit there with her. She had been doing her acrobatic act getting in and out of the crib for an hour and a half, so she was tuckered out by then. We lay there in the dark and she played with my hair and held my hand. I whispered "Night sweetie." And she whispered back "night weetie." And she fell asleep on the carpet with her hand wrapped around my index finger. It was perfect.
I stayed there and cried a tiny bit (happy tears) because my baby is not a baby any more. She is getting a big girl bed tomorrow, she's starting to talk in distinguishable sentences, and she is even going to be a big sister. All good things, but all bits of time I can never get back, and I will miss my little baby. But, this is why I love being a mom.
Anyway, it was a good day, and I post too much about the bad ones.
4 comments:
Everyone has their bad days girl,I know I have my share at times.
You are such a wonderful mother, you and Mike are doing such a great job raising that little cutie.
If you ever need to call and cry call me, we can cry together...love ya
What a nice way to end the day! :) I am glad today was better for you. Call me! We really need to get together. 669-8188
Ok so I totally missed your announcement earlier...CONGRATS! Don't worry about the ups and downs, everyone has them and they are always harder when you're preggers. Just remember that on those hard days two things that always get me through...this too shall pass, and the Lord will not tempt you with more than you are able.
Count your many blessings, name them one by one...
(Just being silly.)
Come over and have a good day with me today now that you're in Montana! Love you and your fam!
Post a Comment