Luckily, Mike and I were able to celebrate our 7th Anniversary a few days after Christmas in California. We went to see Les Miserables in the theater and then had a yummy dinner at Chevy's. Lemmetellya, you guys: I just really like my husband. He is good for me in so many ways- spanning from challenging to blissful.
SO: Here's a few things about our Anniversary date:
Number 1:
I know some of you have probably married super sensitive men who are way in touch with their emotions, but that's..... not the case with me..... at all. When I almost broke up with him before we got married? NOPE. Our wedding? Nothing. Our sealing? No emotions, my friends. He is kiiiiiiind of a rock.
I have seen Michael show emotion on a few, rare (and wonderful) occasions. He got choked up while giving our oldest her baby blessing. He immediately concluded the blessing and said amen. The next time I saw him tear up was 2 years later- about ten minutes after our lil man was born. I started to breast feed Nolan and Mike got misty eyed. It was one of those "wow" moment's as a wife and mother.
BUT, during Les Miserables Mike cried about 3 times. He has loved the music of the play for years, so we were both really excited to see the movie. When Fantine died and she has the "Cosette" flashback/hallucination scene, I looked over to see him wiping away tears. I totally started laughing! How insensitive of me, I know. But I was so shocked. He said that seeing a little blond girl and thinking of our cute little blond and being a dad and all.... he was just overcome.
He also cried during the Empty Chairs song, then AGAIN during the final Jean Valjean death scene.
I loved every minute of it. Sometimes I tell him his heart is made of stone (because I cry -literally- at everything), but that night I was sure that there's an emotional guy hidden within the man I married. Loved it!
Number 2:
There was a funny lady at Chevy's who kept smiling at me across the dining room. Then, she followed me in to the bathroom. But as we were both washing our hands she turns to me and says "Oh, you are so cute! I love your belly! How far along are you?"
"Uhhh, I'm actually only half way, but it's my third, so I'm showing early." (Insert uncomfortable laugh and glance at creepy lady).
"OH! That is so funny! My husband and I have three kids as well! Except they are really old. We are really old! But, you're not. You're young. How old are you?"
(Insert more uncomfortable laughing and glancing at the door) "Oh, um.. I'm 30, actually....... well... thanks!"
And then I quickly left the restroom and asked for to-go boxes.
I know this lady was simply trying to be nice and not trying to freak me out, but the whole exchange was a little odd. It's not that I feel old at 30 years, but isn't it a teensy bit impolite to ask a complete stranger in a bathroom their age? Not to mention that at that point I was only 18 weeks (I lied when I said I was half way.... sort-of... I rounded up) and I was pretty sure I just looked fat, not pregnant. She totally ruined that false fantasy for me, so maybe I was bitter?
Number 3:
My husband may not be a big-romantic-gesture kind of guy, but he knows how to spoil me and make me feel loved. I need to recognize all the little things he does more instead of waiting for the overt and obvious declarations of love.
So here's to the past 7 and many more fabulous decades to come. The past year has been jam packed with blessings, healing, love, and happiness. It's a good life.

1 comment:
Oh my gosh, how do you NOT cry during Empty Chairs?!?! Marius was fabulous. But I'll admit, I full-on ugly cried when we saw the live play (especially when Gavroche died), and I only sorta cried when we saw the movie. Fun anniversary date, though!
And yes, the Vincent men are pretty much emotionless unless the circumstances are just right, with a few exceptions. But especially the Scot Vincents.
Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment