Hey all you faithful readers of my blog! (.....all 5 of you....) I have some questions and I thought maybe I'd put them out to blog world and see who answers.
First: The scrapbook dilemma: I am working on Cecily's first year scrapbook the old fashion way- scissors, glue, ribbon, paper, etc etc. Since she's 17 months and I am only on her 3rd month of life in her scrapbook, I've decided to only go to her 1st b-day with the old way. Does anyone know of a good program to use on the computer that is easy and good? Is photoshop the only way to go, or should I get an easier "scrap-tastic" type program online? Also, once I get it, how do you print the pages? I don't have a good printer..............
Second: My diaper pail stinks. Bad. TMI, TMI, but it's driving me nuts. It's plastic, so I think it has absorbed the poo poo smell. How do I get the stink out?? I have tried bleaching it but that only makes it smell like poopy bleach. Gross. I've tried baking soda in the bottom of the can. No help there. I've tried scented garbage bags, but again, I get poopy scented vanilla smells wafting around the room. CJ's whole room smells like her diaper pail, and I'm paranoid that our entire apartment is starting to REEEEEEEK! Any help? Or should I just endure until she's ready to potty train? Yuck.
Third: Cecily has grown to love her Binky lately. She calls it her "ni-night" 'cause we used to only give it to her at nap and bed time............ but then we moved........... and then she got sick............... and then we got lazy............... and now she wants it a lot. Any time we are not in the comfort of our own home, she's whining, "ni-niiiiiiiiiiight. peeeeeese? She wants it in the car, at the store, at church- all 3 hours. Basically all the time. How old is too old for a Binky? And should I even care at this point? I just worry about her being a 5 year old with a pacifier. I'm pretty sure my mom is convinced I'm a bit paranoid. Maybe she's right. But, this is kid #1, after all.
Fourth: I'm in a clothes rut. I hate everything in my closet, but we're trying to save extra moolah, so I can't go crazy at the department store. I need some advice for saving money on my wardrobe. I try not to be TOO worldly and demand name brand clothes, but I like nice things, and I want to look good. I'm tired of doing all my shopping at Ross and TJ Maxx, though. I hate paying full price for stuff........ I'm not sure what to do with this one. Should I just live with what I have and be grateful my body is covered and I can even afford anything in the first place? Yeah, probably.
So, there's some silly questions for you to ponder and get back to me about.
No, seriously, get back to me.
Hugs and love.
14 comments:
unfortunately I have many of your problems, so i have no advice. i'll be checking back about what people say about the diaper pail cause we have issues with ours. what kind do you use? as for the clothes. i love them and spend way too much money on them too so good luck with that. love you tons. sorry i'm not of more help.
I don't have answers for the first two questions because I'm still doing Alexis' book the old fashioned way--so if you find a good online program, let me know!--and bleach has worked on our diaper pail so far. Maybe try lysol or something? but if bleach doesn't work, that probably won't either.
The binky problem is one that I've thought about, and I have a goal to wean Alexis off the binky by her first birthday. However, every kid is different. My pet peeve is seeing toddlers running around talking through their binkies--they obviously don't need it at that point. My advice is to slowly go back to only offering it to her at bedtime, then try a night without it. My friend did that (cold turkey style), and her boy asked for it the next night, threw a little bit of a fit, and was fine the next night without it.
I have the same dilemma with clothes. Not only have I gotten tired with everything in my closet, but I feel like nothing looks good on me anymore either. And when I buy new clothes, I go with the intention of updating my style and making myself look more grown-up and with-it, but I have no idea how to shop, so I end up with the same old stuff--yes, from places like Target, TJ Maxx, and Ross. If you want to avoid those places, shop sales. I know Express usually has really good ones. Or you can try outlets.
OK Wendy Here's the deal
1) Scrapbooking I have no advice for this
2) Diaper Pail. OK perhaps I'm over simplifying, but here's what I have to say. THROW THE DIAPER PAIL AWAY. Buy yourself several small cutesy trash cans (you know the little 12inch tall ones). Put them in the rooms you most often change CJ's diaper in. For bags just use your old plastic grocery sacks, and EVERY time you throw a poopy diaper in it take the bag out, tie the top shut, and put it on your back porch, or wherever Mike is sure to trip over it as he leaves for, or comes home from work. Then tell him in no uncertain terms that those little bags are to be put in the dumpster EVERY SINGLE DAY. Carmen and I have never had a poopy smell issue.
3) Binky = Evil Get rid of it. No matter the cost. (You'll be shocked at how quickly she'll get over not having it if you just go cold turkey.
4) I do not understand Women and cloths.
Ri Ruv Roo Rorge
Russ Lay
hey wendy, there's this app that i use on my computer called 'booksmart', it's on the blurb website. it's what i did my dad's scrapbook thing in. once you're done you can order it, it comes hardbound with a jacket. it's pretty cool.
Ok so i have to say that I agree with Russ about the Diaper Pail. We don't have one either and I never smell anything for more than about five minutes, until we take the trash out.
P.S. If that was your bro who left the message, I cracked up the whole time reading it. Hilarious.
I read your blog so you have more than 5 readers. But I have no experience in any of your problems so I am not of much help. I just shop sales and borrow from friends!
I'm not sure how to help you with your scrapbooks. I do mine the old fashion way, but I just use the hp program that came with my computer and then print them off with photo paper on my printer. If you don't have a good printer, though, that's not the best idea. I hope you get that one figured out.
I'm not sure how to help with the diaper pail thing either. I understand not bein able to get rid of smells, but I'm not sure how to fix it.
I know the binki thing is rough, but it always drove me nuts when my four year old cousins still had them. We got rid of ours when the boys were one because they weren't old enough to be seriously attatched and they soon forgot about it. I'm not sure what will work with Cecily because every kid is different, but it's really up to when you decide to take it away and then just stick to your decision.
I'm not sure how you feel about second hand clothes, but if you can find some good consignment stores around you, they usually have some good things. I worked at one for two years and although not all of the clothes are in the best shape or name brand, they do go through inventory monthly and constantly have new items coming in. You can often find name brand items that are in really good shape. Consignment stores are also good because you can sell some of your old clothes that aren't really worn out, but you know you probably won't wear any more. You get credit or money for them when you sell them so you can rotate your wardrobe for cheap.
The only advice I can offer is about the clothes... wait until the end of season sale! Everything is marked down and it is still in style!
So I am incredibly behind on the scrapbooking thing, but a lot of my friends are raving about digital scrapbooking. I think the way it works is you can either save things to a cd and then view it either on your computer or a dvd player or you can print a book. I don't know a lot about it yet, but I am learning more, so when I find out I will let you know!
On the diaper pail thing I am with Russ I say throw it out and enjoy a walk to the garbage outside whenever needed. It keeps your house smelling better and gives you a little fresh air every couple of hours!
As for the binky--I am a HUGE FAN!!!! All four of my children have used them and they have been relatively easy to wean when the time came. I know some people worry about their teeth and impairing their speech, but my children haven't had any of those problems. My kids have ranged between 18 months and 3 years when they gave them up and I personally believe although they may not "need" them, if they find them comforting what does it hurt. Like Sheryl Crow says "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad..."!
As far as clothes go I feel like I am in the same dilema. I say we write to Stacy and Clinton and get on "What Not to Wear" and then we can get a trip to New York for a week, free fashion advice, and $5000 for a new wardrobe!
Good luck and I am excited to see you this week!
Try scrapblog.com
I email my pages to walgreens and print them there, or you can print them at your house.
I second the consignment store. I just went to my first and found a pair of new 7 jeans for $20 so I was stoked.
As far as the binky, one thing I have recommended is cutting of the sucky part with your kids and throwing them away together. Then when they ask for it, you can give it to them but they can't suck on it. Of course kids still may get frustrated, but I like the idea of giving them what they ask for and getting what you want as well!
But what does someone without kids really know?
Does Russ have a blog?
You are TOO cute and I love you! I wish we still worked together at Johnny's so I could talk to you! Oh wait, that would mean I was still a server--aaagh! I don't have much advice for you, but I sure hear ya on all your issues! I'm going to go read all the comments everyone else left now. Oh, I think that age 2 is a good time to get rid of the binky. Just tell her that she's a big girl now and that there are lots of little babies in the world who needed hers and take it away cold turkey.
Sometimes a good cleaning with plain white vinegar will help with smelly diaper pails.
We have a lot of the same concerns there girl. As for the scrapbook thing my take is that old fashioned way is by far the cutests way to go however you can do some really cute stuff online a whole lot easier and cheaper. After a ton of reserach and trying a lot of online scrapbooking, I finally settled on doing a photobook on shutterfly for Jake. They have a bunch of different layouts and cute pages. That's my take. No expertise on the binky/diaper pail issue that's advice I need too. As for the clothes...I say save the money. Feeling debt free or financially secure brings a heck of a lot more happiness than feeling cute. I mean make sure and spoil yourself some but I would go more for needs than wants. It's a hard dilema though, I LOVE shopping :)
I didn't read through everyone else's comments so sorry if it repeats...
Scrapbbok digitally with memory Mixers or Scrapbook Factory Deluxe - seems to be user friendly. I do use Adobe but it doesn't come with all the cute papers and elements like the other two. you can print 12x12's at Costco - so check Sam's and Wall World too for price compairison.
Diaper pail - i had the same problem and resorted to putting it on our back porch. It helps the house smell like people and not animals!
Binkys - We had to start cutting the nipples and eventually when she realized they were broken she would throw them bye-bye.
Post a Comment