
Most of you know that I love history. I don't just love it, I can't get enough of it. I think that the more we know of history's mistakes (as well as triumphs) the better our lives will be. We have the opportunity to learn from the past, and I'm just obsessed with it. Kinda wierd.
A while ago I borrowed a book called "John Adams" from my brother-in-law (thanks Ross :o). It's by David McCullough, and it won a pulitzer prize. It's a great book in general, but it's been SO cool to read about John and Abigail and thier relationship. You can tell from their correspondence that he truly valued her opinion and advice over anyone else's. He respected and loved and adored the strong, smart, independent minded woman that she was. Especially for the period in which they lived, Abigail was such a progressive, and I love that John valued that in her rather than trying to suppress it. She, in turn, loved and respected the intelligent man he was, and knew he could bring about change and independence for our fledgling country.
She supported not only him, but the cause for which he was fighting and working. So cool.
Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend the book to anyone who hasn't read it. Both as a history lesson, as well as a lesson on great marriage. Lots to learn.
ps- I just got the first part of the John Adams movie off netflix (based on the book), and so far it's pretty good. One slightly disturbing tar/feather scene(it is HBO after all), but nonetheless entertaining. Not as good as the book, but no movie ever is........ 

1 comment:
I have only seen the HBO series, and thoroughly enjoyed that. But I DID read 1776. David McCullough is such a fabulous writer. I've always enjoyed history, and he makes it even more enjoyable to read.
Post a Comment