Sunday, June 14, 2009

BIG girl

I need to rant and rave. Mike and I went to his company party last week at "Boondocks" which is a family funpark/minigolf/arcade/go-carts type of place. We (of course) took Cecily. We met several of Mike's co-workers there, including a nice guy with a couple of kids...........we'll call him "J." After Mike introduced me, he turned to Cecily and said, "this is our little girl, Cecily. She's just over a year and a half." To which J replied, "Whoa! She is a BIG girl!" Putting emphasis on each word, just so I'd be sure to get the message..........I turned to see his 60 pound 3 year old standing next to Cecily...... and MY kid is big? Obviously, I'm a little bitter...... Then today in church the music leader for primary commented that she didn't know Cecily was only 20 months. She thought she was just an unruly 3 year old. Wow. Thanks so much for that, lady. Seriously, people. Keep your comments to yourself. Now, don't worry, I am fully aware that she is VERY tall for her age. 95th percentile, to be exact. But she's only 50 % for weight. That's average, right? I honestly don't mind if people tell me she's tall for her age or whatever, but seriously, don't tell me I have a HUGE kid and you couldn't believe how she could get any bigger or she might explode. Would I go up to someone and say, "Wow, your kid is SO shrimpy! Do you feed him???" No, I think not. And plus, my kid is probably smarter than your kid. So there.
Whew. I feel better.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

So all that came to mind was my husband and his weird comments. I'd like to take a minute and point out that you will not find a cuter kid than yours truly...Cecilita Jones. I think some people just don't have filtering systems!

fran said...

K that is not as bad as someone saying "Are all three sister's" No lady I sleep around....shhesssh gotta love it

Jasmine said...

I agree--unless you're going to tell me how cute, smart, or well-behaved my kid is, bite your tongue.

Cecily is perfect the way she is, and being tall does not make her "huge". My youngest brother got that when he was a baby, too, because he was off-the-charts tall and had a huge noggin. So, yeah, your baby is cuter and smarter, so there!

Unknown said...

Some people have no social skills. Words just come out of their mouths. They all just need slapped! Don't people know they shouldn't use the word "huge" about any person anyway? It's just offensive!

Brittany said...

yeah, i'm on the other end. people are always saying amelia is small but she's in the 25th percentile, thats not that small. people just don't know how to keep their thoughts to themselves and don't realize that comments about kids are taken personally.

JLMartin said...

just got back from disneyland where a lady asked about andrew...does he have a growing problem? seriously.

Vanessa said...

that's funny! Don't worry Wendy! I saw some other pictures that you posted and she is such a cutie. I can't believe it's almost been 2 years since you had her. I remember when we would go visit teach and the first time you brought her. She was just a newborn!! Her hair is getting long too. She's a cutie!

Meagan , Brian, Sydney and Jonas! said...

I'm sure that's what they mean. Cecily is by no means thick. She is really tall for her age. That's all!