Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A New Journey


Hey friends and family!


I just wanted to let you all know about a business venture that Michael and I are starting......... I'm really really apprehensive, but we both feel good about it and I'm excited as well as scared.


I'm starting a small, on location photography business out of my home. I have been taking engagement, family, and children's photos for about 7 years, and I really enjoy it. I have a minor in Art Education and have not used it, with the exception of student teaching. My college classes gave me a great love for photography, a base knowledge of how things are done as well as an artistic edge.

I'm nervous because I kind of hate having my work critiqued, but I know that comes with the territory and my skin is pretty thick. Not everyone will love everything. Also, Utah is the CAPITOL of stay-at-home-mom photo businesses, so I have lots of competition. But, hopefully my work (and my degree) bring something a little different to the table. I'd like to think so :)


I started a photo blog, and am working on a business website, which will hopefully be up and running soon. My prices are really low for now, since I'm trying to build my portfolio. I'd love to hear from you. And, call me if you want to schedule a session ;)




Lots of love,

Wendy

This is my georgeous niece, Samantha. This was taken at my last photoshoot in MT.

11 comments:

Jasmine said...

Good luck!!! (I may be calling you for tips and pointers in a year or two...) :) I look forward to seeing your work.

~G~ said...

Good luck with all the competition. I loved the pictures of Rachel and Bren. I thought of paying you to come to me for some new born shots in Febuary, but you'll be dealing with a new one of your own. Maybe at the beach next year!

James said...

Nice. Good luck!

fran said...

The picture's that you took of our family was amazing....you are very talented girl....

Brittany said...

Go for it! I remember when you took our engagement photos in 2003. Are you willing to travel to someones home? My grandparents live in Salt Lake and I think it would be great to get some photos of them in their home, candids would be good too. They're a really cute couple! I think they could even use one as a Christmas card picture! We'll have to set something up. I could mail you a check since I don't live there and I don't want my granparents paying. I'll talk to them and see what we can work out. (they live in salt lake/holladay area. i can get a more exact address for you so you know how far it would be.)

Celeste said...

Hooray! You will do great! I will most definitely spread the word to everyone I know in Utah. I have loved the pictures you have done for us and I was really sad we weren't able to get anymore when you were here--maybe next time!
Good luck!

Amber said...

That's awesome Wendy! I would love to do something like that. Good luck!! The pics look great!

Montana Wilkins said...

May I just say that the child in the picture for this post is GORGEOUS! What a beauty! What a doll! What a perfect subject for you to photograph! She probably has really cute siblings too.
Thanks for the photo shoot. Send me the rest of the pics someday.
Congrats on the business. Do what you can when you can and when it feels right.
(Word verification: dednest
Do you think that's a hick word for something that's really dead? Like, "That thar's the dednest dog I ever seen!")

Diane Conn said...

Good Luck Wendy!
Let me know if you ever need any help or have any questions.
(and you totally need to raise your prices.)

The Lays said...

Wendy,
We need family pictures in October. I also need pictures of Esther in a beautiful white dress sometime in December, hopefully outside in the snow. So, probably two shoots. Think we could hire you???

Brandon Neal said...

Hey guys...hope things are well. Photography rocks...I'm trying to get better. So far I have helped shoot 2 weddings. Its crazy, but fun.

-Brandon Neal
www.a-second-try.blogspot.com