Friday, February 12, 2010

what's in a name?

Mike and I have had a really hard time picking names for our kids. 

 The name Michael is super common, and although Mike likes his name, he really really wanted our kids to have names that were a bit more unique.   I grew up thinking I would name my first girl Emma,  but then "Friends" came along and decided to make that the most popular name of the decade.  Stinkin Rachel Green! 
(I still think it's a cute name, though)

Despite what some may think, we didn't make up the name Cecily.  It is an English/Irish/Welch name that is basically thier version of the Italian name Cecilia. 
Mike and I both loved it and thought it fit our little cutie. Plus (this is so dumb) it was the name of a character off the Disney series "Avonlea" which aired when I was young.  I always liked Cecily the best because she was the younger sister (like me) who always wanted to be just like her older sister (and I did too).  
Mike and I had a few names picked out and had them paired with middle names.  Cecily was paired with JeNae.

With CJ we decided about a minute after she was born that we HAD to use the middle name JeNae.  Cecily was born at 1:59am on October 9, 2007.  My mom JeNae was born October 9, 1947. 
That sealed the deal.
She became Cecily JeNae.
and it fits her querky little personality well



With Nolan it was just as difficult.  On the way to our ultrasound to find out what we were having I picked out the cutest girls name EVER and decided that's what we would name her....... until the girl I thought I was having ended up being the cutest boy ever.

Mike kept coming up with names like "Basil"..... luckily, I had veto power.  :)  I'm the momma.


So, we talked and talked and finally picked out 3 or 4 names we (miraculously) both liked and waited to see the little guy. Before he was born I was SURE we would name him either Everett or Glen........(both family names) but then we saw him and he just had to be Nolan.  It fit.
 
Nolan was my grandfather's name (my mom's father).  And Scott is Mike's fathers name, as well as Mike's middle name. 
 And so, he became Nolan Scott.
 
And now you know (because my guess is you were dying to :)

4 comments:

The Hawks said...

Nolan was one of the names we had picked if Maya was a boy, so of course I love it! Your kiddos both have super cute names! love you lots.

Laura Horne said...

I love this post! We have such a hard time picking names too. I have a total "Laura" complex because there were always so many other Lauras.

Ironically, Eric still begs me to name our next daughter Emma, and I refuse because of Friends (and that darn Rachel Green!). AND, Cecily was one of the names I picked out for my child in middle school (yes, I named my children in middle school).

Anyway, I feel you on the name picking thing =)

Nat-a-baby said...

I love both of the names you have picked for your kids. I'm all about originality. I have a name picked for my first boy and my first girl and (like you) hope they don't become the most popular names around before I get chance to use them! Congratulations on your new arrival. I Hope things are going well.

RaeAnn said...

good name! and um, avonlea is my all-time favorite show!