Thinking about going private.
Those of you who are private, what was the motivation? The only reason I haven't taken my own blog private is because I'm such a blog stalker and it makes me just a teensy bit sad when the blogs of friends of friends go private or people with whom I'm just an "acquaintance" and not a real good friend go private and I can't see their lives any more.
Does that make me weird?
Maybe a little.
Anyway, I've been looking at my traffic feed lately and I keep getting people from super random foreign countries looking at my blog and a few random comments. It makes me nervous and I want to keep my fam safe. I've tried hard lately not to put up too much personal info, but you never know. The whole reason I started a blog was for friends and family, and to keep a record of our lives, and all those things could be accomplished even if I went private. Still not sure though. I may or may not do it.
Any thoughts?
PS- I stole this cartoon image, have no idea who it's by,
but because this little bliggety blog is not for profit I don't think it matters :)

6 comments:
I've been asking myself the same question lately. I haven't gone private because I, too, am quite guilty of blog-stalking, and I know that there are some "acquaintances" of mine who stalk my blog but probably wouldn't ask for permission if I went private.
I haven't had any weird comments (except for one, like, two years ago), and I feel like I'm protecting my family and our information. I wouldn't blame you, however, if you made the decision to go private. Just make sure I get an invite. ;)
Are you ready for my two cents? If not - then stop reading here! :)
I hate private blogs. I love the people that I know who have private blogs but I hate that they are private. I hate that I need to ask to be allowed to read it. Kinda like high school when you hope that the cool friend will let you sit by them at lunch. My feelings are that if you are going to have a blog then you obviously want to have an outlet to write and share your thoughts and feelings and if you are worried about who is reading what you write then you shouldn't have a blog. I am all about trying to be safe and not posting personal things - I want to have my family safe too. If someone is super worried then they shouldn't blog. Ok. So I sound cruel and mean. Sorry. Just my personal thoughts on the subject! I have readers from all over the world and for some reason that doesn't bother me. I don't feel threatened at all by having a reader that I don't know. And like you - I like to read about the people that I know from their blogs. Many I haven't asked for permission after they have made their blogs private.
Leaving soap box now.
If you think your family is in danger- do it. And if you do make sure you invite me to be able to read it. I look at your blog often.
I hear ya. I thought about going private but my family likes to look at my blog. And some don't have hotmail accounts so they wouldn't be able to look at it if I went private. That is why I haven't. I haven't recieved any weird comments from random people so I'm good. I just make sure I don't put contact info on my posts. Good luck! Let me know if you do so I can give you my email!
I am guilty of blog-stalking too. And I agree with Boedee. Private blogs put us back high school maturity wise. Now if family is in danger, by all means do it. Just make sure I get an invite. :) Ok - now I am going to be personal..... I was told once in a blessing that I should not let the opinions of others get to me, for only god truly knows me. I advise the same to you. Don't worry what other people think. Don't worry about their comments because comments can be erased.
I really enjoy having a private blog. And it doesn't matter who an email account is through anyone can set up a password and access any blog they are invited too. Other than being a slight inconvenience to your family or others, a private blog is available to any one YOU want it to be available too.
But, that point aside, I think you just need to decide who you are writing your blog for. Are you writing for the masses because if so, yes, for sure keep it public. But if you are writing for yourself, or your close friends and family than I would go private. I personally love being private because I look at my blog like a family scrapbook/journal where I can keep information that I want to remember, but don't neccessarily want to share with the WHOLE world.
The good news is if you go private and decide you don't like it you can always go public again! Good luck deciding!
Post a Comment