Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Miss Fancy Pants! .... I Mean Hair.

So, let's be real here folks: 
 I hardly ever do Cecily's hair really fancy schmancy. 
 I'm just more of a ponytail-and-go kind of mommy.  Which, incidentally, was one of the reasons living in Utah was a teensy bit weird.  I felt a little bit like the odd one out at the grocery store because my little girl was the only one without super fancy hair and a home-made huge flower clip to glam it up even more.  It did help that my ward was FULL of old people who thought I was great with or without the glitter clippies in Cecily's hair. 

Don't get me wrong- I think the styles are cute, I'm just not put together enough to do them all the time.

PS- Does anyone out there (in Mormon-land) ever feel like church is somewhat reminiscent of high school with all the "my kids hair is cuter than your kids hair" and "my home-made dress is cuter than your home-made dress" and "My husband is a dentist and yours isn't" and "I can make my kids sit still in sacrament meeting and yours are screaming and jumping around the pews"  ...... is that just me?  I know- I'm a little insecure, but sometimes I feel like that. 


But I am straying WILDLY off subject....


Today my sister called me and told me that her favorite hair blog was being featured on YouTube and I should check it out, so I did! I didn't do the exact hair do they showed because Cecily wouldn't sit still very long and braiding was easier than twisting because I've done it before. I did the "twists to a side bun" style, except with braids.  I even dug through my bathroom drawers and found some ribbons to accessorize!
I thought it turned out cute and it was actually pretty fun to do.
Now, if I only had some enormous flowers for her hair!  Darn!  Next time for sure :)


My sister Janet spent last summer doing fun, fancy hairstyles with her daughter Samantha (who is gorgeous and has amazing hair).  You can check out her fun styles here if you want to.  They got most of the hairstyles from the cute hair for girls blog.... not sure where to find it... sorry.  Google?  Or they're featured on YouTube today (like I said) so you can find them that way.
I don't think I'll do this on a daily basis (or even for church because, frankly, we can't get there on time with just a ponytail....), but it was great to try it out.

Cecily kept saying "Mom, I look JUST like Fancy Nancy!" 
All you need is the hat, my dear and you are SET!




 And just because they're cute I'll throw this one in.  Nolan looks like a goof-ball :)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

So freakin' cute! Love it. I totally agree with all that you said! I was laughing so hard because it is so dead on. Love you guys!

Montana Wilkins said...

I completely love that she said she looked like Fancy Nancy! Fancy Nancy is the best. And so is Cecily!
I think you did a fantastic job on that hair-do! It looks really good. That's not one I've ever tried on Samantha. Pretty.
Oh, and--WHAT?!! Your husband isn't a dentist! How appalling. Really.

Brittany said...

I rarely do my girls hair. Maggie likes the two piggie tails so I do that with her when we have time. AMelia doesn't really like it when I do her hair. As for church being like high school, you should come to my ward. Everyone is super chill. We comment on each others kids but not in a competitive way...we're sincere and even have fun joking about our short comings. I think some women over do it cause they are insecure and feel like they have to prove something