Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Semi-Extreme Makeover: Home Addition (sans Ty)

I need help from any of you with a great sense of style. 
But first, A STORY.
WOOP, WOOP!

So, about 4 years ago now, we put earnest money down on a home in Vegas.  Shortly thereafter, we felt sick to our stomachs for somewhere between 24 and 48 hours (read: the spirit screamed at us NO NO NO NO NO for 24-48 hours), so we went in and put the kibosh on the deal.  We would be 100K+ underwater if we had purchased in LV.
Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles.

Then in SLC we looked for (not kidding) 5 months, found a house, and were in the middle of a deal when Mike -bless his heart- got really nervous and decided to pull the plug on that one too. 
I was furious.  FURIOUS, I tell you!
I was a huge baby and was seriously mad at him for about a week until he took me to IKEA and let me spend about 250 bucks. 
HA! 
I was such a fool.
He lost his job 7 months later.

Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles numero dos? 
I think yes.

Anywhoo,
this go around we both felt like it was the right time and right place to dive in for try #3.
So, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! 
We bought a house in Billings and we are excited.

Because we are not super fabulous richy rich people we laid money down on a house that needs...... shall we say.......a face lift.
Nothing structurally wrong, it just needs a re-do.
I like makeovers, don't you?
Makes me feel a little like Cher from clueless.

SOOOOOO, to my 4 faithful readers ;) I want your opinion and advice.  
I've been trolling around the 2,348,723,947 design blogs out there and I'm at a loss.

I am really good at deciding what I DON'T like, but have a hard time nailing down what I DO like because I like a fairly broad range of things I see.

I'm starting with a remake of our master (and I use the term loosely) bedroom.  It's TINY as the dickens.  Like 11' x 12' + a closet.
Right now it is painted (ceiling to floor and all trim included) the color of puke. Plus, (because vomit wasn't bad enough) they added faux finished orange-ish brown accent wall on one side.
So since I hate waking up every morning in (what feels like) a tub of up-chuck.
That's where we begin!


These are a few of the bedroom designs that I like-


would grey feel like I was waking up in a trash can??


is brown too dark??


too beige?
I'm not a wreath fan, but I love the DIY ladder shelves. 
Found them on this new favorite site.


 I want to keep the space light and bright so it feels bigger maybe? Hopefully.

Also, give me all your tips for optimising small spaces and making them feel oooooh so large.

And just FYI, I'm on a re-design budget of like........ 4 dollars.
OK, kidding, but I need to keep it fairly reasonable for my hubbs sake.
No suggestions for new gorgeous bedroom sets I can't afford, capiche?

Hugs and love.



8 comments:

Laura said...

i think you should combine the first and the third one together. the lightness of the third, with the simplicity and some of the shading of the first one. spray paint + goodwill finds = brandnew awesomeness you can decorate your home with. seriously, i just went and got old mismatched picture frames, spray painted them all black, so now they look like they match (on a college student budget) but provide a really creative look to my room for less than 3 bucks.

Diane Conn said...

I think you should wander the paint department of all of the home improvement and paint stores and watch the "mess up" paint shelf. Just wait for a paint color you really like so you can save yourself money. That's why our little bathroo is yellow, because I like yellow and the paint was $5 and not $25. And don't forget to prime that puke wall.

Pam said...

Laura has some good ideas, but I love love LOVE the brown. Our bedroom is in browns, and though we haven't gotten to the walls yet, I love my brown and blue bedding. I agree with the mismatched (spray painted)picture frames. You are a photographer (or at least aspiring to be one) so I am sure filling frames is not a problem for you. If you are in need of some new furniture may I suggest the coolest (and empowering) website ever? http://ana-white.com/ This lady is so ridiculously talented, and she has drawn up designs for all kinds of knock off products (like Pottery Barn furniture that you can make for a fraction of the cost)... She also shows you how to build it- step by step. Also, if you go to the Behr website you can play with colors and it can help you combine color schemes... go to http://www.behr.com/Behr/home then click on explore color and start the Color Smart program. That site is fun to play with. Hope these help!

Rachel said...

Yeah...I have nothing to contribute except some moral support. I am completely lacking in the creativity department...but I am sure you will do wonderful things that will amaze the eye! Love ya

The Hawks said...

I totally want to re-decorate too. We have done nothing with our house since we moved in, and we are on a limited budget right now. As in zero dollars. I love love love the last room though. The shelves are awesome. Congrats on the house! I guess I should have said that first. Have fun decorating! You're super talented so I'm sure you'll have no problem. Love you lots!!

Criscell said...

Yippee and congrats to you on your new house!!! I'm sooo happy for you and so glad that it worked out for you this go around--third time's the charm eh? I love to decorate too but I'm with you when it comes to nailing down what I like. I love the third picture you posted though--the "beige" one and those shelves are super cute! Good luck to you! I bet it will be beautiful whatever you decide--post pictures when you're done!

Brittany said...

Love the last room (although I agree on the wreath).

I am a HUGE believer in magazines. Blogs are ok, but not tangible enough. Go flip through some magazines, buy your favorite ones, then start cutting them up. Cut out pages and start a binder or inspiration board or something. Then you can pick it up and drop it at a moments notice. Maybe Cecily will want to look at the magazines too??

So I am redoing my living room! Maybe you can share some inspiration as you go! You must keep us posted on your work! I agree, projects and make-overs are fun!

Amber Horch said...

Congratulations guys! That is so exciting! Is that first bedroom from The Holiday?!! I LOVE the house in that movie! As you probably know from seeing my house, I love gray. To make it not feel "trash canny" choose a warm gray with more yellow/brown undertones instead of cool purple/blue undertones.