Thursday, March 17, 2011

Help Wanted

So, the other night cute Miguel and I watched a movie. 


Seen it?  If not, you should watch it.

It left me sickened, sad, and unbelievably determined to eat better.
Just because I'm me, I seem to question everything.   I can't help thinking that it can't really be as bad as all THAT, can it?  Not EVERY company can be that malicious, can they? 
Honestly I don't know if it's as bad as it came across in the movie.
However
If even a little bit of it is true (and I believe it is), it makes me want to change.
Change the way I eat, and MOSTDEFINITELY the way I use my dollar.
I want to spend my money investing in companies that don't raise chickens so quickly and fat that they cannot even stand up on thier tiny little legs. 
Or chikens that spend thier life in a dark cage in thier own poo and never see the light of day. 
Washed in chlorine and raised FULL of antibiotics.
Icky and oh, so sad.
I'm not an animal rights activist, but I had no idea what was going on and it makes me sick. 
How can people think this is ok?

I grew up in Montana.  When you drive along the highway you see thousands of free range cattle.  They're just out there gnawing on grass like they should be.
I assumed that all my hamburger came from cows just like that.
I hope maybe some of it has.

But I have strayed off subject....

My questions to any of you who know: 
 How do you find out where your meat comes from?
How do you find out which companies aren't rediculously unethical?
How does anyone afford to eat organically?

I don't know if any of you have the answers.
If nothing else, you should watch the movie.

I'll be buying chicken and pork from the hutterite colony here in Billings, but other than that I am kind of clueless.  I have to go stalk a hutterite when I see them in Target, but hey- peace of mind  is worth it :)

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

My mom and I were having a similar conversation the other day, and she told me a friend of hers will actually buy a cow every year. They pay the company, the company butchers and packages the meat, then the family just pulls it out of the freezer throughout the year. Granted, you have to own a large freezer, but it seems like one way to know for sure where all your beef is coming from.

Also, if you have any farmers market type stores (here we have Henrys and Sprouts along with Whole Foods and Trader Joe's), those places are more likely to have free range proteins. Yes, they're a little more expensive, but watch for sales and buy in bulk.

Good luck!

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

You should totally watch The Future of Food. It's really really good!

I seem to find independent farms/ranches at Farmers markets, the real deal outdoor farmers markets. I can buy at their booth, or ask for a brochure and buy from them directly. YOu can go to the ranch and buy a quarter cow or something. Check labeling on EVERYTHING. and buy made in USA stuff when you can. I pledged to buy only USA grown food this year.

If you feel up to it, raise your own chickens!!