Thursday, March 8, 2012

2,200

Two Thousand and Two Hundred. 
That's how many people are in this little town we live in. 

As in all things, there is good and there is bad.
 And, as in all things, I have moments when I love it and moments when I hate it. 


Here's what I LOVE:

1. The city has a lot of ammenities.  The property taxes on the mine and power plants here are SKY HIGH, so everything is well funded.  This means good schools, a nice little library, and a sweet (free) community recreation center.  Where I get to work out and drop the kids in the daycare center FOR FREEEEEEEEEE!  YIPPEEEEEE!

2. People wave at you while you drive.  Like "Hey!  I don't know you at all, but I'm just waving to be friendly!" type of waves.  So, even though I get "thanks for letting me in" waves, and "you go ahead through the stop sign first" waves, I get "hi! We're friends you just didn't know it!" waves.  Different then Vegas.  And Salt Lake.  And pretty much everywhere. 

3.  Our local church group is really great.  There's lots of people our age, AAAND they have kids our age, which is uh- mazing.  Once a month we all chip in for a babysitter and do a game night.  Again, UH-MAZING. 

4.  It's small enough that if I want to teach, they might actually hire me as a first year teacher who graduated 6 years ago. 

5. Mike loves his job.  Even if I had listed NOTHING ELSE above this, moving here would have been worth it.  They appreciate him and value his contributions to the company.  Priceless. 

And because there must be a yin to the yang (or a yang to the yin?) Here's what I HATE:

1.  It's far from EVERYTHING.  No, really, EVERYTHING.   Although there's a small grocery store, and small medical clinic, it's expensive and doesn't have much.  SO we go in to Billings for groceries, the doctor, the dentist, clothes, movies, books, and on and on and on.  It is a 2 hour drive one way to Billings, so it's not exactly like I can just throw the kids in the car and make a quick trip to the store. 

2.  Subway is the only fast food in town.  Do I need to elaborate on why I hate this? 

3.  There's ONE choice for internet providers and they SUCK IT UP. 

4.  It's far away from all our friends and all our family.  This is probably the hardest. 
We miss you all.  So much.   






4 comments:

Meagan , Brian, Sydney and Jonas! said...

Those sound like amazing perks and then again some really downers. Good luck with keeping a positive attitude and I hope things go well and that it's a good experience!

Criscell said...

Being that far away from everything must be SO hard! I'm so sorry. Other than that, it sounds awesome there! A free Rec center?!? WOW!

fran said...

CALIFORNIA's better....you are wanting to move here! lol

Carmen said...

You are making memories. I remember as a kid we would go to Bozeman on a saturday and spend the whole day there doing nothing but shopping. And then we would ride home and have to put our legs on top of the canned goods!!!!