Sunday, February 12, 2012

Celebrity

 I've never been much of a celebrity lover.  Most of the time I just don't care.
I'm not exactly sure why, I just figure I'm not friends with them, so why worry about it?

Even when I was young,  I didn't really get in to it.
When all the girls at school were drooling over the Hansen posters on their walls and singing "MMMM, Bop" I was just too realistic to crush on them. 
I knew I was never going to meet them.
As much as I loved "bop do waa doo wop"-ing down the hall, I knew I would never kiss them or have thier babies.  Why waste my babysitting money on calenders and cardboard cut-outs?

I'm straying off subject, though. 

There is ONE Celebrity who I would say made an impression on my life. 

And she died yesterday.
And that makes me sad.

I remember my sister getting this album on casette tape.

I was a little jealous, even if I was confused as to why the girl on the cover didn't have hair.
Why was I jealous, you ask?
Because I wanted the music underneath that bald lady.

I was that 4 year old girl, belting The Greatest Love of All at the top of my tiny little lungs.  And what 5 year old girl doesn't love shaking her bitsy little booty to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" in her living room?  And who will that same 8 year old girl always love? "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeeeeeeeeeIIIIIIIIIIIIII, will always LOOOOVE YOOOOOOOU!" that's who. 

In all seriousness, I think I first recognized my love for singing while I was singing along to Whitney.  I first recognized my love for dance while I was making up dances with my sister to Whiney.  She made an impression.  She had one of the greatest voices of all time.  She was completely effortless.

So, even though I didn't love the bobby-brown loving, drug riddled, 87 pounds, "crack is whack" Whitney, I will forever love her.


2 comments:

Meagan , Brian, Sydney and Jonas! said...

I absolutely love her song "There can be miracles" or something like that from Prince of Egypt. Gives me chills every time.

The Provident Planner said...

She sang one of my favorite lullabies growing up - "Baby Mine" from Dumbo - it was a comforting song through my awkward years, and it's a song I sing to my own children now. "The Greatest Love of All" was one of the first REAL songs that I learned on the piano...and her singing was SO effortless...like it just FLOWED out of her perfectly. Beautiful...