Friday, February 10, 2012

Inapro-pro

Gettin' it off my chest? 

So, recently I read an article about ways to keep your kids quiet in a church service.  It was written with LDS meetings in mind, since the first full hour of  our church services are with our kids. Although an "in general" type of essay, the woman who wrote it was obviously Mormon.  The article itself gave some good tips, like spending time at home with your kids on the couch practicing being reverent and reading quietly and all that jazz. It also suggested things like NOT taking your kids out and letting them play, but rather helping them to get used to staying in the meeting, and keeping snacks to a minimum. All good things.  Not disputing that.


  What frustrated me was the comment section. 
Every comment I read was something to the effect of
 "Great article!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL the parents in our ward take thier kids out in to the hall and let them play! Dumb parents!" 
OR
  "I want to pass this out to my congregation!  Our services are very loud and none of the parents know how to control their unruly kids!"
OR
 "The back pew gets so messy from this one family who let their children eat anything!"

Seriously? 
Can we all please stop judging each other at church?  

My kids are unbelievably loud.  For real, they have 2 volumes: 1) Blow your ears out, and 2) Asleep.  
They also have 2 speeds: 1)Crazy-run-jump-bounce off the walls, and 2) Asleep.  
I practice with them.  I try.  I do my best.
I blame Michael's ADD genes, but that's beside the point :)

 Here's a confession: I KINDA HATE SUNDAYS.  It is in no way a day of rest for me at this point in my life.  This hasn't always, nor will it always be the case, but as of right this moment- Sundays are stressful. 
And yeah, sometimes I feel judged. 
I consider it a success if we only have to take Nolan out once or twice for a time-out because he shrieks so high and loud that all the old folks hearing aids are squealing.  No joke. 

So here's my point: 
Not all children are created equal in terms of thier capabilities to remain quiet.
Not all parents with loud kids "just aren't trying."
And for heaven's sake, if you have quiet kids, thank your lucky stars.

 AND, last but not least: don't read the comments section :)

By the way, one of our finest tactics for keeping Nolan quiet in church is to steal one of the plastic sacrament cups and keep re-filling it with water.  He sips it and then says "MOE! MOE!" 
 Is that wrong? Or maybe just completely inappropriate? 

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I am glad to hear that there are other parents out there that have the "annoying" kids who must not be getting disciplined at home!! (Insert eye roll!) Church is stressful and most weeks chaotic!! And I don't feel one bit bad about the fact that in order to keep my 2 year old quiet I feed him a 9 course meal during Sacrament meeting!!(:

JLMartin said...

Oh, I love you Wendy. We just moved to a new ward so we'll see where we fit in on the "annoying, undisciplined kids" scale. They're just kids for goodness sakes!

Jasmine said...

I remember being highly offended at a comment made by our stake president in a relief society lesson a couple years ago. He compared the behavior of kids (or lack thereof) along with the reverence and respect of their parents in sacrament meeting to an experience he had in a movie theater seeing one of the Toy Story movies. He said that while observing a sacrament meeting one Sunday, he noticed children playing "loudly", parents and children alike not paying attention to the speaker, and several parents getting up to take their children out to the foyer, which consequently disrupted the meeting further because they had to open and close the chapel doors.

Then he shared his experience in the movie theater -- not one child was taken out of the theater, and everyone was paying attention to what was on the screen.

His point was that we, as parents, need to be teaching our children the right priorities and reverence at home, because he just couldn't believe the stark difference in behavior between the two situations.

Are you kidding me?!?! Those two scenarios aren't even on the same spectrum! What kid is going to be able to pay attention to a speaker who is A)speaking about something WAAAAAY over their heads, and B)presenting it in a fashion that is not very interesting to most adults, let alone children. Not to mention -- THERE WERE GIANT TOYS ON THE SCREEN!!!

Part of me wanted to pipe up and ask him if he would, rather than us disturb the meeting by opening the doors to take a loud child into the foyer, just let them scream it out in the chapel.

Although Alexis was only a baby at the time, I felt unfairly chastised and judged for having a child who needed to be fed during church. Even now, as I look back at his statement years later, I still feel anger about it.

I think people who don't have kids or haven't had young children in a long time don't realize that it's really difficult for children to be quiet for more than a few minutes, no matter how much "discipline" is used at home.

We're doing the best we freakin' can, ok?!?!

Micah said...

Oh, Wendy...I totally get it. I dread Sundays. I know that's horrible, but well, it's true. Nathan works on Sundays, so I have to get the kids ready and loaded in the car by myself. I'm already in a horrible mood before I even get to church. Luckily I am in the same ward as my mom, so I have help at church, but still...I feel your pain. Love your guts!! I wish we could sit in church with our unruly kids together!

Criscell said...

My kids are SO loud too! Sundays are a stressful day--I totally agree! Hang in there! I feel your pain...